Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chris Evert and the French Past Participle

Even at her peak when Martina Navratilova consistently defeated Chris Evert in Wimbledon giving you a sense of Déjà vu, I still like Chris more. Her tennis was more subtle and her pin-point passing shots were a joy to watch. Her marriage, she changed her name to Chris Evert-Lloyd (I think I also saw her name mentioned in papers as Chris Lloyd née Evert), seemed to make no difference to her tennis, and she went on to win 7 grand slam titles post marriage.

There! I used two past participle vu (from voir, to see) and née (from naître, to be born), and you didn’t even notice.

It helps that such irregular French past-participles find its place in English unchanged.

By the way, I am sure you know Déjà means ‘already’ and thus, Déjà vu would mean ‘already seen’.

No comments:

Post a Comment