Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Your French Is Very Good

I just finished having one of the most delicious lunches of my life in a small French restaurant called Fleur de Sel. And I ended up impressing my host.
As our waitress struggled to explain the menu to me, I wanted to make it very clear that I can have everything except beef (nothing religious, I just don’t like the smell – the same way I cannot stand fish because of its smell.) So all I said was “sans viande”. And in all the chatter to decide the menu (French take food very seriously), the head of the department picked up what I said. After the waitress retreated, he turned to me and said, “Your French is very good!”

Sometimes all you need are a few well timed words.

4 comments:

  1. Well, Amitab, I can tell you one thing: honestly, when you said "sans viande", you said it so well I didn't realize - until JM turned to you - that you said it in french...

    Et maintenant, tu sais qui a écrit ce commentaire ;-)

    J'admire tes efforts pour apprendre le français, ce n'est pas une langue facile.

    Bon courage !

    ReplyDelete
  2. GA,
    How did you even find this blog????? You are full of surprises. The lunch was one of the most delicious I have had in ages. The Crème brûlée was ummmm... très délicieux. This evening as I was returning from the Brussels station, it was rainign and all wet, and to keep my mind off the weather and cold, I was thinking of French hospitality, and the fact that JM and you insisted that I have lunch, even when you had a terribly busy schedule. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do they say for "Khichadi" in French?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erscheint wie, nach seiner heirat Französische Frauen haben sie ihr Deutsch und immer wunderschön in Französisch.

    ReplyDelete