Friday, December 16, 2011

Trust and Mutual Respect

This cold, wet morning I saw notice on the train to Liege, the last line of which should be made the standard for all humanity to imbibe. And it goes like this:

Ne vous asseyez pas sur la courtoisie. Laissez votre place à ceux qui ont le plus besoin. Le respect mutuel, c’est classe.

What do you think?

At the bottom of 'mutual respect' lies trust. I witnessed this first hand the evening. Yesterday, I went to the world famous Belgian Comic Strip Centre in Brussels. Apart from the small figurines of Tintin, Capt. Haddock, Asterix and Obelix, I also picked up two Tintin comic book in French. This evening, after a rather tiring day, when I turned to read them, I discovered - to my utter horror - that only one, Le Secret de La Lircorne (The Secret of the Unicorn, in English) was in French. The sequel I picked up without much thought turned out to be in Spanish. I almost ran to the Comic Strip Centre (I was not sure when it would close) and explained to the lady at the caisse that I wanted the book in French. She did not bat an eyelid, nor did she demand to see the receipt. She smiled; she went to the racks and got me the one I wanted. And what's more, it turned out that Le Tresor de Rackham Le Rouge (The Red Rackham Treasure, in English) is cheaper in French. She returned me the change and bade me farewell. What a pleasant experience.

Now that is trust and mutual respect in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment