Friday, November 11, 2011

Past, Present and Future Together

I dislike the way languages are taught to adults. I can understand the gradual increase in complexity when children are taught, but to an adult it makes no sense to first teach the present tense, then the future, then the past, when in most case you are likely to use all of them together.

Here’s an example:

Demain, je vais aller aux États-Unis. Je vais là après une longue période. J'ai été il y a environ huit ans.
Tomorrow, I will go to the United States (immediate future). I am going there after a long time (present). I was there about 8 years ago (past).

There! You have all the three tenses explaining a situation. However, since the teaching material is designed fr gradual elaboration, it takes longer the usual to start speaking a new language fluently. I think there is scope for improvement in adult education.

No comments:

Post a Comment