Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Essential Toolset - Learn French - Free on Internet

There are many free dictionaries and translation tools available on the Internet, but I find the following invaluable for self-study:

1. Google Translate: Not only does this tool, help you translate from French to any language of your choice and vice-versa, it also allows you to pull out (that little keyboard icon at bottom left) a virtual keyboard to allow typing French accents, which is a huge plus.
However, I have noticed that the translation works better with longer sentences than with small phrases.

2. Verb Conjugator: Goes without saying that a good verb conjugator is sine qua non of self study. I find this one very neat. Great help.

3. Verb Deconjugator: The first thing I realized as I initially progressed through intermediate French is that at times it was very difficult to figure out the infinitive based on a conjugated verb, particularly when it was one of those irregular verb. I mean, how could anyone figure out (easily) that vécu is the past participle of vivre (to live).

I thought to myself, “Wow! All I need is to build an app that could give me the verb from its conjugate. This could be a killer app. I could be rolling in money.” Alas! Someone has already thought of it and has done a wonderful job of it.

I find this Verb Deconjugator excellent. Though I did find a word missing from its database: percuté (from percuter: hit or smash).

I will keep updating this toolset as I come across more useful tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment