Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tant Pis

Some words just latch on to your memory. The sounds of it just resonates in your brain, and try as hard as you will, you find it difficult to dislodge it. Just as well. These words add colour to the language. Like tant pis.

Tant pis means too bad. It the sense of regret. But at times, with a little twist in your tone, it could also mean, ‘hard luck, go jump.’

Scene 1:
“She can’t come to the party. Elle ne peut pas venir à la fête. ”
Tant pis.Too bad. I don’t want to come too. Je ne veux pas venir aussi.”

Scene 2 :
“My boss is mad at me. My wife nags. My dog barks. My tooth hurts. My shoe bites …”
Tant pis. Hard luck. Get a life.”

Get the difference?

The opposite of tant pis is tant mieux. It doesn’t have quite the same ring to it, but its use will help you show off your my-French-is-not-bad-either skills.

"Hey! I have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for promoting French as the world language."
"Pourquoi? Why?"
"Pourquoi pas? Why not?"
"Tant mieux pour toi. Good for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment